top of page
  • Writer's pictureBCV.stories

Carty, Gerald


Gerald Carty was born on October 1st, 1925 in Saint John, New Brunswick to parents Albert and Fannie (Tyler) Carty. Albert served Canada in the segregated No 2 Construction.


Gerald was the last of five brothers to enlist in the RCAF during the Second World War. Having previously served in the Army Cadets and Air Cadets, his enlistment was highly recommended even though he was not yet 18 years old. In September 1943 Gerald was accepted as an aircrew trainee and sent to Lachine, QC for basic training, then sent to Toronto for attachment to the Central Technical School for additional educational upgrading. In November 1943 Gerald was off to No. 4 Wireless School at Guelph. He graduated in June 1944. It was then on to Bombing and Gunnery School at Mountain View.


In July 1944, Gerald was promoted to sergeant and then commissioned as a pilot officer as one of the top graduates and wearing the half-wing of a qualified wireless operator/air gunner.


In August 1944, Pilot Officer Carty was posted overseas and arrived in the UK on 1 October 1944 and posted to No. 3 Personnel Reception Centre to await operational upgrading and to become part of a crew, either on a bomber or a maritime reconnaissance aircraft.


In January 1945, he was promoted to flying officer. With the war over in Europe Carty was repatriated to Canada in July 1945.


Following his overseas service, Gerry received the first ever electronic technician certification issued in New Brunswick.


He partnered in the establishment of Central Community Television; the first cable company in Fredericton, and was credited with being the largest system of its kind east of Montreal, later to become Fundy Cable. As a result of his electronic expertise, he was able to develop a variety of improvised technical innovations for the Fredericton Police Force.

Gerald's interest in aviation continued within the Fredericton community through his involvement as an instructor and C.O. of the Fredericton No. 333 Air Cadet Squadron, his role as a founding member and president of the Fredericton Flying Club, and in the establishment of Air Acadia, a local charter flight service.


Gerry was an active member of Christ Church Cathedral. Over his lifetime, he was a member of the YMCA where he was a gymnastics instructor, the RCAF Association 252 (Lord Beaverbrook) Wing, the Elks Club, the Fredericton Lions Club, the Garrison Club, and the Canadian Legion Branch Number 4.


His hobbies included playing music as a very accomplished saxophone player, homebuilt aircraft, anything electronic, and beekeeping. He loved to garden and play cribbage, and he always enjoyed the challenge of figuring out new ways to do things.




 

Gerald Carty est né le 1er octobre 1925 à Saint John, au Nouveau-Brunswick, de parents Albert et Fannie (Tyler) Carty.. Albert était membre du 2e Bataillon de construction, une unité militaire ségréguée.


Gerald est le dernier de ses cinq frères à s'être enrôlé dans l'ARC pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Ayant déjà servi dans le corps des cadets de l'Armée et celui des cadets des Forces aériennes, son enrôlement a été vivement recommandé, même s'il n'avait pas encore 18 ans. En septembre 1943, Gerald est accepté comme stagiaire au sein du personnel navigant et envoyé à Lachine, au Québec, pour l'entraînement de base. Il est ensuite envoyé à Toronto pour être rattaché à la Central Technical School afin d'améliorer davantage son niveau d'études. En novembre 1943, Gerald est envoyé à l'École de radiotélégraphie 4, à Guelph. Il obtient son diplôme en juin 1944. Il est ensuite envoyé à l'École de bombardiers et mitrailleurs à Mountain View. In July 1944, Gerald was promoted to sergeant and then commissioned as a pilot officer as one of the top graduates and wearing the half-wing of a qualified wireless operator / air gunner.


En août 1944, le Sous-lieutenant d'aviation Carty est affecté outre-mer et arrive au Royaume-Uni le 1er octobre 1944. Il est affecté au Centre de réception du personnel n° 3 en attendant d'être mis en condition opérationnelle et d'être intégré à un équipage, soit sur un bombardier, soit sur un avion de reconnaissance maritime.


En janvier 1945, il est promu officier d'aviation. Après son service outre-mer, Gerry reçoit la toute première certification de technicien en électronique à être délivrée au Nouveau-Brunswick.


Gerald a participé à la création de Central Community Television, la première société de câblodistribution de Fredericton, qui a été reconnue comme étant le plus grand système de ce type à l'est de Montréal, et qui est devenue par la suite Fundy Cable. Son expertise en électronique lui a permis de mettre au point toute une série d'innovations techniques improvisées pour le service de police de Fredericton.


L'intérêt de Gerald pour l'aviation s'est poursuivi au sein de la communauté de Fredericton de diverses façons : son implication comme instructeur et commandant de l'escadron des cadets de l'air no 333 de Fredericton, son rôle de membre fondateur et de président du Fredericton Flying Club, et sa contribution à l'établissement d'Air Acadia, un service local de vols nolisés.


Gerry était un membre actif de la cathédrale Christ Church. Au cours de sa vie, il a été membre du YMCA, où il était instructeur de gymnastique, de l'Association 252 (Lord Beaverbrook) de l'ARC, du Elks Club, du Lions Club de Fredericton, du Garrison Club et de la filiale no 4 de la Légion canadienne.


La musique était l'un de ses passe-temps, et il était un saxophoniste doué. Il aimait aussi construire des avions, tout ce qui était électronique, et faire de l'apiculture. Il aimait jardiner et jouer au cribbage, et il appréciait toujours le défi de trouver de nouvelles façons de faire les choses.






776 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page